Sunday, April 12, 2015

Fitzroy Square: April 12, 2015


                                                                                                                        29 Fitzroy Square W.
My Violet,
     You have made a monstrosity of our address-- 29 Gordon Square.  However, your letter did come at last.  What with your Homes and your Jekylls, and your new puppies and your budding trees -- was there ever such a good gardener as Ozzy?  I am melted into an indistinguishable mass; pearl grey, and vaporous.
    Well, God knows where one should begin a letter, seeing that I have been to Paris and back, changed my house, entered a new study all in the interval.
      Now I am learning to write to the tune of twenty railway vans, which grind rough music beneath my window; but the grey houses opposite and the trees which are just beginning to grow green, are expected to heal the damage to my style.

Letter to Violet Dickinson (L1 291)

On April 12, 1907, Virginia and Adrian Stephen moved into 29 Fitzroy Square.


No comments:

Post a Comment