Sunday, July 19, 2015

Peace Day: July 19, 2015

July 19, 1919
     One ought to say something about Peace day, I suppose, though whether it's worth taking a new nib for that purpose I don't know.  I'm sitting wedged into the window, & so catch almost on my head the steady drip of rain which is pattering on the leaves.  In ten minutes or so the Richmond procession begins.  I fear there will be few people to applaud the town councillors dressed up to look dignified & march through the streets. . . . 
       It seems to me more & more clear that the only honest people are the artists, & that these social reformers &  philanthropists get so out of hand, & and harbour so many discreditable desires under the disguise of loving their kind, that in the end there's more to find fault with them than in us.  But if I were one of them?

(D1 292-3)

Official Peace Day celebrations in 1919
Anniversary of Stella Duckworth's death, 1897

No comments:

Post a Comment