Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Garden and the Nursery: August 1, 2015


View up garden path towards nursery window at Talland House
Is it not possible -- I often wonder-- that things we have felt with great intensity have an existence independent of our minds; are in fact still in existence? And if so, will it not be possible, in time, that some device will be invented by which we can tap them? I see it -- the past - an avenue lying behind; a long ribbon of scenes, emotions. There at the end of the avenue still, are the garden and the nursery. Instead of remembering here a scene and there a sound, I shall fit a plug into the wall; and listen in to the past. I shall turn up August 1890. I feel that strong emotion must leave its trace; and it is only a question of discovering how we can get ourselves again attached to it, so that we shall be able to live our lives through from the start.
“A Sketch of the Past”  (MOB 67)

No comments:

Post a Comment