Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Continuous Interest: December 1, 2015


Am I speaking for myself only when I say that though nothing worth calling an adventure has befallen me since I last occupied this thorny and prominent chair I still seem to myself a subject of inexhaustible and fascinating anxiety? – a volcano in perpetual eruption?  Am I alone in my egotism when I say that never does the pale light of dawn filter through the blinds of 52 Tavistock Square but I open my eyes and exclaim, “Good God! Here I am again!” – not always with pleasure, often with pain; sometimes with a spasm of acute disgust – but always, always, with interest.
“Am I a Snob” (MOB 204-5)
December 1, 1936, Woolf read “Am I a Snob?” to the Memoir Club.

“Interest is the most important thing in life; happiness is temporary, but interest is continuous."
Georgia O’Keeffe

No comments:

Post a Comment