Saturday, November 28, 2015

Remembering a Father: November 28, 2015


Talland House Ghosts, Digital Print
28 November 1928

Father’s Birthday.  He would have been . . . 96, yes, today; & could have been 96, like other people one has known; but mercifully was not.  His life would have entirely ended mine.  What would have happened?  No writing, no books; -- inconceivable.  I used to think of him & mother daily; but writing The Lighthouse, laid them in my mind.  And now he comes back sometimes, but differently. (I believe this to be true – that I was obsessed by them both, unhealthily; & writing of them was a necessary act).  He comes back now as more of a contemporary.  I must read him some day.  I wonder if I can feel again, I hear his voice, I know this by heart?

(D3 208)

No comments:

Post a Comment